Those of you following my tumblr blog may have seen a couple of work-in-progress shots of this. I’ve found my happy place working on several paintings and sketches lately, and this has been the second biggest (and tied for first-most compelling) piece I’ve been doing.
I started this piece to explore the following ideas/tick them off in my folio:
- a quick and rough-but-complete looking concept illustration (check – I even learned a bit more about using the palette knife!)
- a complete scene (check – this piece isn’t just another portrait with a background)
- composition (check that too – I had only a rough idea of what I wanted to do when I started, so I plotted it all out using divine proportion and kept those principles in the front of my mind throughout the painting)
- values (yep – learned very, very quickly to stick to a distint and set value range for each ground)
- working from a gamut mask (check and mate!)
I think I achieved most of what I set out to do. I feel the picture does look rough and concept-y enough. The one rude surprise I had working on the painting stemmed from point one: I’d started with a very small to print canvas, as I’d only intended to do a light digital sketch. My very patient partner, who provided critique and a fresh set of eyes throughout the process*, mentioned he wanted a print of the picture when I was done with it. Lucky for me, that got me looking at the picture dimensions and I blew it up just in time to put in the colour.
* as fresh as they could be when I was messaging him every ten minutes to show off a new development in the painting, anyway.
And there was plenty of my favourite part of painting: finding the mistakes myself and correcting them. A fun exercise where I learn a bit and get a painting at the end of it? Sense of achievement, fulfilled!
This is a concept illustration for a project I’ve got on the go at the moment. TTTSNB readers may already find the heroine familiar. And, dear readers of this blog, you’ll likely be seeing much more of her (and the Sweet cast) on this blog in the future.
This month will be full of writing, planning and concept work!
Here’s a quick environment painting from imagination. Restricted myself to four tones for use throughout the image. Don’t think I quite got it, so I’ve set up a palette for my next black and white environment sketch that allows for three tones within three separate planes (nine tones total. Nine! I’ll be thoroughly spoilt.)
Also, here’s what that concept work looks like. I’m leaving this character’s weapon mutable, and I’ve left out some of the studies I did to get her to that broad silhouette. Readers of The Thing That Should Not Be might recognise this character…
And here’s a not terribly quick speedpaint. I referenced a shot of BigBang’s Daesung from the Monster music video.
I used to be a reluctant k-pop fan, and then I saw how awesome YG music videos were :B
Technical painting talk: Restricted myself to four tones for the initial value painting, then allowed to play a little bit more once I started laying down the colours. Also the first time I’ve worked from a gamut, which was very exciting! Overall painting took maybe two hours. I need to get back into painting more quickly and more often! I’ve livestreamed most of this painting, which you can find at my livestream channel here. Warning for length, this one clocks in at an hour and a half. I hope to do another livestream soon! 🙂
April was a kind of busy month for me. But I did manage to get in some practice doing things I’m just not used to, and start focusing a little more on working from imagination.
So let’s play catch-up in one mega, mostly chronological post:
A speedpaint done exploring some new things I’d learned about lighting. Done with less reference than I had recently been using.
As you might have noticed from the blog, I don’t tend to draw animals often. So it’s a bit of gloating, but for my first time drawing cockatoos (piecing these guys together from reference and imagination), I’m fairly pleased with this one.
The background was not such a success though 😛
This one was inspired by my own personal Easter weekend alarm clock. Thanks, guys.
I’ve always been a bit nervous about exaggerated caricature – it feels a little like the extremely skilled but at least moderately evil twin of portraiture. One very cool cartoonist on Twitter suggested these were more cartoony portraits, which I’m a little more comfortable with.
Although I really do want to crawl up on character #1’s cheeks and fall asleep. *_*
Practice with environments, something I very much need. Neither from reference.
A bit closer to my painting roots after a bit of a mad week – simple, four tone painting (not including eyes, background or clothing), form and lighting from reference. Lately I’ve noticed that I seem to be able to crack out of a tough art time more quickly when I’m painting my favourite muse…funny that.
And to cap off mega-post, a quick speedpaint.
I forgot I hadn’t posted this. This was the concept art and turnaround for an assignment last year. I still quite like it, and given the chance to do the concept art again, I’d probably do it much the same way. I kept in mind how the model should animate and how I’d like different aspects bits of textures to bleed into each other. It was a lot of fun thinking about how the materials should work.
By the way, long term readers of this blog may have noticed I never posted the final of the firebunny. That is because the final sucked.
However, here is a look at how the model progressed
Here is the model with just the diffuse texture
And here is an early render, with the specularity and alpha all loaded in